As I follow blogs, things to do with children, activities, etc there seems to be a disconnect. The majority of activities are targeted towards women and their children (notice I said majority NOT all). This is 2013, and men are more in the picture then they ever have been in the past.
Where are the activities geared towards men and their parenting style? Men aren't only different from women but their parenting is different, and the activities they like to do are different. Rarely do I see activities for men and their children. Most men I know don't want to do crafts with their kids or art, do music, dance (most men feel awkward in these situations, less so when their with their children, but still strained at best).
- Baby lifting competition
- Baby carrier run/walk
- How to utilize tools with your children safely workshop.
- Fishing with dad. I did this as a girl and cherish those times I spent with my dad.
- Camping with just dad not the whole family just dad.
- And of course the old daddy-kid date
I remember camping, and fishing with my dad with fondness. I have some nostalgia and connection with my dad when I think of these activities together. We went fishing once when I was 4 or 5 and he told me I had to sing: "here fishy, fishy, fishy. Here fishy, fishy fishy", in order to catch a fish. Of course I believed it and sang as loud as I could in order to catch a fish. Everyone around us were having a good time watching this little girl singing: "here fishy, fishy, fishy" with all her might. Great connection and memories I have because of those times.
Let's not forget our dads when planning social activities with our children!
- Your Brilliant Baby in Week 12: Correlating Dads and Diapers (babyzone.com)
- The Cutest Dad and Baby Photos - Entries from our Best New Dad photo contest (babble.com)
- Dad (medicalaidpoetry.wordpress.com)
- Comparative Analysis of the 4 Natural Parenting Styles (babyzene.com)